HomeHistoryBulletinGalleryLinksDonations

Directory

History

St. Mark the Evangelist Parish

                   In 1816 the Vicar General of Upper Canada, Alexander MacDonell, purchased land in Prescott to build a chapel. Bishop MacDonell also participated in the raid on Ogdensburg, N.Y. in 1813. The first church built on that land was around the year 1823. The first pastor of St. Mark Parish was Father Timothy O'Meara who was appointed in 1828. The current church structure was consecrated on October 21, 1888. The interior was decorated in 1906 by the Panzeroni Brothers.

                    In 1881 Father John Masterson was appointed to St. Mark Parish and remained until 1921. During his forty year tenure St. Mark Parish saw much growth and activity such as the construction of the current church, a horse and rig barn (St. Mark Club), interior and exterior refurbishing of the rectory as well as the arrival of the Sisters of Providence who occupied the Crane house.

                    The Sisters of Providence arrived in 1905 and laboured in the red brick St Mark Catholic School for fifty years until it became overcrowded  and too dilapidated to warrant restoration. It was replaced by a more modern school in 1956, St. Mark Catholic School, on Edward Street. Four years later additional class space was required and a second school, St. Joseph Catholic School, was built in McAuley Gardens. The Sisters were renowned for teaching skills and standards especially in the area of music and had an inspiring presence over the years. Sadly the convent was closed in 1987.  Between the period of 1987 and 2006, the Knights of Columbus Council 5880 was responsible for the former convent, now known as Crane House.  The council made use of the building for their meeting and other community projects.  A grand tribute to the dedication of the Sisters of Providence is evident in the construction of a brand new St. Mark Catholic School in 2009 on the former site of St. Joseph Catholic School.  Stained Glass windows from the old convent have been erected in the new school.

 

Pastors of St. Mark The Evangelist Parish

 

Father Timothy O'Meara
 
1828 - 1831
 
Father Patrick Foley
 
1831 - 1832
 
Father J. W. Campion
 
1832 - 1843
 
Father J. Clark (Overlaps with Campion)
 
1841 - 1843
 
Father D. Farrelly
 
1843 - 1844
 
Father Edmund P. Roche
 
1844 - 1874
 
Father J. O'Donnell
 
1874 - 1881
 
Monsignor J. Masterson
 
1881 - 1921
 
Father J. P. Hartigan
 
1922 - 1927
 
Father J. P. Fleming
 
1927 - 1931
 
Father Charles J. Mea
 
1931 - 1943
 
Father J. H. McDonald
 
1943 - 1950
 
Father Martin E. James
 
1950 - 1958
 
Father Joseph Shannon
 
1958 - 1965
 
Father W. P. Healey
 
1966 - 1974
 
Father Peter F. Murphy
 
1974 - 1983
 
Monsignor Bernard J. Walsh
 
1983 - 1998
 
Father John Appelman 1998 - 2010
Father Brent Brennan 2010 to present

 

 

St. Mark History was taken from the book "The St. Mark Story" by Barbara Seargeant.

 

Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish
 

             
                           In 1875, through the efforts of Father O'Donnell and Father  Masterson of Prescott, Ontario, the present church was constructed on land donated by W. G. Benson of the Canada Starch Company. Prior to the building of Sacred Heart Church,  Parishioners celebrated the Eucharist in Dixon's Corners. Often the priest from Mariatown, near Morrisburg would travel to Cardinal  and would Celebrate the Eucharist in the homes of local parishioners.  

                            Sacred Heart Parish was a Mission Church of St. Mark the Evangelist in Prescott, Ontario for approximately 48 years.  In 1923 Sacred Heart became a separate Parish with Father Gorman as the first parish priest.   Various changes have taken place in the Church over the years.  In 1947,  on its 25th Anniversary, the church was redecorated:  stained glass windows, new Stations of the Cross,  and a pipe organ were installed.  During Father Harold Wiley's time as parish priest, the pipe organ, which had originally been purchased from St. Mark the Evangelist, was replaced by an electric organ.   In 1995, a new electronic organ was donated by the Procyk family.   

                            The Knights of Columbus have always played a significant role in life of the parish.  In  1962, a Knights of Columbus Council was formed in Cardinal, with Garnet Gilligan as its first Grand Knight.  The Council was affiliated with Kemptville.  Prior to 1962, members of the Knights of Columbus from Cardinal were affiliated with Brockville.   Since 1966,  the Cardinal Council of the Knights of Columbus have been affilated with the Prescott Council #5880.

                            As with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Women's League played an important part  in the life of the parish.   Obviously, the Catholic Women's League were an early presence in the Parish in Cardinal.  Records indicate that the League was re-established in 1949, with Ethel Borman as President.  Currently members of the Catholic Women's League from Sacred Heart are affiliated with the St. Mark Council in Prescott.

                            Sacred Heart Parish has seen two of its "native sons"  ordained to the priesthood.  In April 1949, John Buckley, son of Timothy and Mary Buckley, was ordained in Kingston, Ontario.  Father Buckley celebrated the Eucharist for the first time in Sacred Heart  Parish on April 24th, 1949.  On May 16, 1969,  Sacred Heart Parish witnessed its first ordination when Archbishop Wilhelm came from Kingston to ordain Kennneth Stitt, son of Kenneth and Mary Stitt.   Father Stitt also celebrated the Eucharist for the first time in Cardinal.

                            In 1975,  the Parish celebrated the 100th Anniversary of the founding of Sacred Heart Church.  A parish retreat was held and on June 1,  there was a parish dinner at St. Paul Anglican Church Hall.

                            On March 11, 1984, a  Parish Centre, designed by Parishioner Jack Marin, was officially opened.  Archbishop Spence delivered the blessing and Father Raby was the guest speaker.  

                              On September 10, 2000,  the  Parish celebrated the 125th anniversary of its founding as a mission of St. Mark Parish in Prescott.    In 2001, parish meetings were held throughout the Diocese of Kingston to consider the clustering of certain parishes .  In  2002, Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish was clustered with the parish of St. Mark the Evangelist in Prescott.  The Parish Rectory, which had been built during Father Michael Reed's time, was sold in October 2003.


Pastors of Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish
 


 
Father Leo Gorman
 
1923 - 1925
 
Father Martin James
 
1925 - 1950
 
Father Harold Wiley
 
1950 - 1963
 
Father J. E. Trainer
 
1963 - 1967
 
Father Michael Farrell
 
1967 - 1968
 
Father Ray Shannon
 
1968 - 1969
 
Father Leo Byrne
 
1969 - 1975
 
Father Edward Keyes
 
1975 - 1986
 
Father Michael Reed
 
1986 - 1992
 
Father William Powell
 
1992 - 2002
 
Father John Appelman
 
2002 - 2010
 
Father Brent Brennan 2010 to present
 


Sacred Heart History Courtesy of Corrinne Miller